
tinydancer79
Last week we had a wild ride to Mexico and back. Bordering insane, I quite enjoyed the border showdown between the Greens and the Hendrickson’s and felt that this display of parental love all around was fantastic. This week leaves me startled, oddly reset, and at odds with the producers that have decided to leave us with but one episode to clear this mess up. They are insane.
The political endeavors, a very smart and self-protecting Sissy Spacek out for blood, two men in a polygynous marriage, Adeline drugged, Wanda in a state of mental distress beyond understanding, Albee not realizing who is to blame for his lover’s death, seeking someone else to blame and going absolutely insane … In all of this Sarah’s leaving is the only foreseeable, controlled, logic plot point. Ben’s newly reset obligation to his family also expected. And while this monstrous amount of narratives drives me absolutely insane, none finding the devotion I believe necessary: I LOVE IT. Maybe I just want more then what they give…
Is it because I enjoy being tortured?
But everything we see here is not new, not unexpected, not really. Albee is a modern day homosexual Ophelia, stuck and insane, because he is left with the knowledge of happiness and love in a place where these do not exist. Wanda always has a premonition; she is haunted by knowing, and silenced by the (I think) unspeakable evil of what she is keeping hidden from sight, just like Cassandra was. The characters we have here in Big Love are by far the most classic figures of tragedy. And the trick is, that Utah offers all the necessary trappings for the story to unfold. Religious issues ranging from contemporary to century old conflicts, believes that have modernized and such that have not. We have hierarchies in place all around that allow for the most sophisticated plots without having to deal with courtroom dramas, hospitals, work places (which is where you can usually find these hierarchies). Big Love is an absolute exception in a world where family plots equal family comedy. Will it be a British or Greek tragedy? We will have to wait and see.
And if I were to write the end, I just might have Agamemnon killed in the end. His never-ending hysteria is what truly hurts my senses.

No comments:
Post a Comment